Monday, May 20, 2013

Marigolds, Why are you Tomatoes best friend?







As I was planting my tomatoes last week I went through the motions as usual to plant a marigold close by to "help" the tomatoes grow better when it occurred to me....."I really have no idea why marigolds are good for tomatoes".  After some long hard research (I googled it) I found some conflicting data but came up with basically this.

  Marigolds are plant allies that you can pair with eggplants, potatoes, pumpkins, tomatoes and squash plants to provide the benefits of protection or improved growth. Marigolds deter Mexican bean beetles from damaging beans, discourage Japanese beetles from harming corn and deter beetles from causing harm to cucumbers, melons, pumpkins, squashes and potatoes. Marigolds help prevent nematodes from affecting eggplants and tomatoes. Pot marigolds deter beetles from visiting asparagus plants and tomato worms and general pests from bothering tomatoes.



 I have also heard that this is all a wives tale and that there is no solid evidence that this flower can do any of its claim to fame. At any rate, they are pretty, there are so many kids of them, and why not...right? I enjoy seeing them and believe that, if anything, they are a friend to my garden and tomato plants.


And now for updates on my garden. I was out front Saturday looking at the sad dried up azalea bushes out front that were once mind blowing fuchsia when I took a look closer I saw that there were HUNDREDS of newly hatched Praying Mantis or is it Manti? Anyhow they were so cute and I was happy because they are super awesome garden savers!


Have a look:



Maybe even more curious than those bugs was the CUCUMBER that I planted outside WAY TOO EARLY! See:
Peas are coming along nicely and are a miracle in their own right as I transplanted them from inside and from what I hear you must never transplant peas...
The chives are flowering:
As is the Clematis:
Lastly, I finally put in the herb garden. I bought two types of Rosemary (Hill Hardy and Arp), two types of Basil (Sweet and Greek Columnar) and Cilantro. The Hot and Spicy Oregano actually came back along with the parsley. Who knew they were so hardy? Looking at these herbs is enough inspiration to get cooking!
Hope you and your garden are on your way to a bountiful season!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Everything looks *beautiful*! A great companion planting resource is _Carrots Love Tomatoes_. Here's a pdf with some more companions: http://counties.cce.cornell.edu/chemung/agriculture/publications/companion-planting.pdf